Danielle Dardashti taught me and a very engaged live audience about how to discover, write and tell a story that engages your audience and retains their attention so you can move people and get results.
“Storytelling is the best way to sell a product or make a friend and connect people because it’s a way for us to make sense of everything that is happening around us and create a narrative around it using emotion, and conflict and transformation. Everyone experiences similar emotions, similar conflict, even if they are dealing with life in a different context. Stories allow us to relate to other people’s experiences versus just facts, figures and data.”
Danielle said there are three steps to creating a great story and the first two are before you ever start to write it:
- Understand your audience
- Mine your life experiences to find great stories
- Craft the story
Other topics that we discussed were:
- what makes a great story
- how to use emotion to help your audience feel what you felt
- how to remember great ideas and use them in your story
- how to get over fear and embarrassment when speaking
- the difference in how to tell a story in a live versus virtual speaking event
- how to encourage youth to develop the art of storytelling
And great news… Danielle will be teaching a five part workshop on Strategic Storytelling for Public Speaking which includes one-on-one time to craft your individual story. At the end of the workshop you will have your own complete 5 minute story ready to tell for your audience. If you sign up between now and June 23rd, we are offering a $75 discount…. yeah!
Leave a Reply